Monday, March 31, 2008

Upgrading the Network

For some time I have had two 10 Mbps hubs that extend my network from my router. The router is 10/100, but for many years my machines were all 10 Mbps interfaces. With the upgrades over the years, now most of the motherboards have on-board 100 Mbps and with the transfer of video, images, and music, I'd really like to get my speed up to 100 Mbps.

For $9.99 each (no rebate) I purchased three D-Link DES-1105 5-Port Unmanaged 10/100 network switches. The switches autosense speed, duplex, and uplink, so there is absolutely no configuration. No need for crossover cables, which is always a bonus.

The upgrade went flawlessly. I plugged in the switches and everything sensed and came up fine. My days of autosensing paranoia are finally over.

Easiest upgrade ever.

No comments: