Sunday, March 16, 2008

How To Fix Disappearing USB Drives

I have a Linux server, and much to my dismay, my large USB drive for storage appears disappear after non-use in some sort of power-down mode. I tried automatically remounting the drive periodically using cron, and though that seemed to extend the time of usability, it still didn't ultimately fix the problem.

This is a big problem since the drive is home for my served music and my squid files. Whenever it disappears I lose my music server and my girls lose their whitelisted internet access.

Stage 2, which is now being tested, added a second cron job to move a file back and forth between the IDE root partition and USB drive every 5 minutes. My hope is that the periodic use will keep the drive from powering down.

Cross your fingers and we'll see how it goes.


Darn -- it stays on, but randomly gets remounted as READ-ONLY.

The next step is to try a newer version of Linux: Yes, that's right -- time to rebuild the server.

No comments: