Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Server Requirements

So, it is time to start thinking about the new server. This post is where I am going to keep track of things to configure and install. First let's see what is on it currently:
  • squid -- set up as a proxy server with a whitelist, might want to add filtering
  • sarg -- a report generator for squid
  • wordpress -- never really used it
  • php shopping list -- I need php, but I think I want to replace this shopping list with a Java servlet
  • cvs repository -- hmmm, maybe it is time to move to subversion
  • nwn admin -- I definitely want to run a nwn server, since my daughters and I can play
  • nwn server -- see above
  • D&D Character generator -- Yeah, we need that
  • Samba -- gotta have a central place to keep stuff
  • Apache -- the basis for a lot of stuff
  • MySQL -- basis for lots of stuff, too
New stuff that I know I need:
  • Tomcat -- A Java servlet container, aka application server
  • Planet -- A feed aggregator that I haven't found a free host for
  • Nefu-- A network monitor
Stuff I am not going to set up on the server:
  • Wiki / Blog software -- I have free hosting options.
  • Picture / Media Site -- A file server and free hosting are the best options
  • DNS / DHCP / Firewall -- Other solutions already in place
  • Email -- free hosting
So this is a decent start to the list. I'll update it more as I go.

No comments: