Saturday, April 25, 2020

My Carving Bench

I'm new to carving and it didn't take long to realize my traditional benches weren't going to work for my carving. They are the wrong height and the wrong scale for small carving projects. I thought back to a carved I had seen at a festival a few years ago who used a stump as a carving bench.



I still wanted mobility though, something a far cry better than dragging a stump around. I built a X using half lap joints in 4x4s and added casters. I carved a matching X in the stump I had of the right size. Assembly was quick with some long deck screws.


I quickly found I need some clamping abilities, so I added a hole for a hold down and a couple hold-down clamps. It has worked out well. Also, if I ever want to take my woodworking to outdoor festivals, it is plenty portable.


No comments: