Thursday, September 28, 2006

NWN Remote Administered Server

I am a big D&D fan, always have been. For 15+ years I have played D&D and other RPGs, including a few I wrote myself, both with pen and paper, and a couple that I coded up myself in BASIC on my old C64. I have been playing Neverwinter Nights (NWN) since it came out. I find it an awesome games, combining an awesome player experience with nonlinear game worlds. It can be run standalone or as a client connected to public or private server. There is a toolkit that comes with it that allows DMs to build their own worlds. You can even host them on a server and connect up as the DM with godlike powers to run a game almost in the old pen and paper sortof way.

With Neverwinter Nights 2 coming out on October 17, the cost of the original NWN stuff is dropping quickly. I was able to pick up a copy of the full version (with both add-on packs Shadows of Undrentide (SoU) and Hordes of the Underdark (HotU)) for a mere $20 on Walmart.com. I thought now is the perfect time to bring a server online for playing.

I downloaded the NWN server from here.
Installation was pretty straightforward. I installed per the directions from here. In my case, I avoided copying my whole hak directory over, since it is huge. Likewise I avoided copying all of my modules (game modules) over, because I have a lot of them, Instead I chose to install a persistent world module. Persistent worlds are meant to be continuously running server games that people can play over and over without have to restart the module.

The Rhun modules can be found here. The server can be started from the command line to load a module automatically. However, this is a pain, since one must login to the linux server of interest.

To fix this, I downloaded NWN Administration. It is a PHP-based web-based administration tool. It can be found here.

No comments: